Such a simple salad this one, but truly delicious and perfect for a hot summer’s day. I tasted it in Skopje, Macedonia on a short work visit in March 2017 and really wasn’t sure it would be for me, but it was delicious and I made and shared it as part of my feast for friends as soon as I got home. The difficult part of this one is likely to be getting your hands on the right type of cheese and in truth, I’m not sure what it will be like with Feta if you can’t get Sirene, but many other websites seem to suggest it’s a good substitute and who am I to argue?!
Serves 6 as a side | 10 mins prep
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced into chunks about 1.5cm sq
- 4 medium, ripe tomatoes, cut into 6-8 wedges each
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g Sirene cheese or Feta if you can’t get Sirene
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the cucumber, tomatoes and red onion and add to a large serving bowl.
- Mix the red wine vinegar and olive oil in a jug and pour over the vegetables. Season with a little salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Grate the cheese and use it to completely cover the veg in the bowl. Refrigerate for 15 mins before serving.