Serves 4 | 170 cals per serving | 20 mins
I’m not a big fan of ‘slaws’ generally, but Hubs is so I made this for him one day and really enjoyed it myself. The apple gives it a lovely sweetness while the fennel adds that aniseed piquancy. Don’t make this too far ahead of eating it, as the juices tend to get quite watery after a while.
- 1/2 red onion halved and then sliced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1 crisp red apple or granny smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 50ml full fat Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 25ml mayonnaise
- squeeze of lemon juice
- small handful flatleaf parsley chopped
- Mix the sugar and red wine vinegar in a small bowl and when the sugar has dissolved, add the sliced onion and set aside to pickle for 10 mins.
- Add all the sliced and shredded fruit and veg to a large bowl, including the drained pickled onion.
- In a jug, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing, season and when ready to serve, pour over the veg/fruit and toss to combine.
This is lovely with some spiced griddled or barbecued chicken or a piece of grilled fish and a green salad.